Understanding Education in Career Context
1. This article discusses how education is important when it comes to choosing a career. Almost all jobs nowadays require people to get a college degree rather than just a high school diploma. Even though one does receive a degree at the end of their college experience, this is still not enough. A college degree is what a high school diploma was 20 years ago. Often times, employers want people with job experience rather than someone who has a high grade average because they are able to communicate with others effectively. You must differentiate yourself from the others to be successful.
This article is important because it demonstrates how education has evolved throughout the years as well as careers. Many years ago, people were able to get a decent paying job with a high school diploma, but now it is difficult to get one with a college degree. It is important to understand that one must go above and beyond to live a decent life.
Robert Farrington, “A College Degree is the New High School Diploma”, Forbes, Published September 29, 2014, Accessed December 1, 2015 http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertfarrington/2014/09/29/a-college-degree-is-the-new-high-school-diploma/2/
1. This article discusses how one can achieve and maintain good grades in university. Grades are very important as they can differentiate you from others when looking for a job. There are many things that can be done to accomplish this goal. The first thing that should be done before you move on to anything else is adjust your attitude. People attending university believe that fun and freedom are at the same level with studying, but that is incorrect. You must understand that education is more important than having fun. After this has been done, you are able to move on to the other steps such as attending every class, getting the readings done in time, get a study group, etc. It is also important to associate yourself with the right group of people because they can influence you to either do the right thing or the wrong thing.
This article is important because the transition between high school and university is big, and it does require more commitment. Students need to know the right steps needed to achieve and maintain their desired marks to succeed.
Surviving Studenthood, “How to Achieve Good Grades”, Surviving Student Hood, Published November 29, 2010, Accessed December 1, 2015. https://survivingstudenthood.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/how-to-get-good-grades-in-university/
2. This article explains how important grades are when looking for a job. The importance of grades can vary among the employers. Most employers expect good grades graduating from university. There are also some employers who expect a minimum average from university but expect you have to job experience. Once they see that the minimum has been achieved, they will not refer to it again. Instead, they will ask you questions about prior job experience and references.
This article is important because it explains the importance of grades. Students must realize that school is very important because depending on how seriously you take it, it can determine your future.
Charlotte Salter, “Do University Grades Really Matter?”, CareerCamel, Published September 4, 2014, Accessed on December 1, 2015. http://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2014/07/28/how-to-network-the-right-way-eight-tips/
How to Choose Programs
1. The main topic of this article is to choose a program that interests you. Many students believe that they must choose a program that revolves around their career choice which is incorrect. Some employers do not focus too much on what major you graduated in, instead, they focus on the necessary skills such as analytic skills and writing skills. They also focus on whether the student has the ability to think critically. Often times, students will choose a program and then transfer into another one because they realized that it does not interest them. Learning what you do not like is as important as learning what you do like.
This article is important because many students believe that they will not find a career if they do not enter a program that revolves around a specific field. Students need to understand that changing programs is perfectly acceptable, because what really matters is whether they will be happy in the end. Forcing yourself to learn something that does not interest you can affect your learning experience as a whole.
Erin Millar, “How Do I Choose the Right Program for Me?”, Maclean’s, Published May 22, 2007, Accessed December 1, 2015. http://www.macleans.ca/education/uniandcollege/how-do-i-choose-the-right-program-for-me/
2. This article explains how to choose a program in university. Before looking around at programs, you must first evaluate your skills and yourself. If you are still unsure in what to choose, you can apply to a program that interests you. Students always change to different programs and that is normal. University is the place to find what you are really interested in and succeed in it.
This article is important because there are many students who are pressured into choosing a program, even if they do not enjoy it. Often times, students will choose a program that others want them to enter, but this is not right.
Lakehead University’s Undergraduate Recruitment office, “How to Choose your Program”, Unveristystudy, Accessed December 1, 2015. http://www.universitystudy.ca/plan-for-university/how-to-choose-your-program/
1. The main topic of this article is that networking is not only for recent graduates who are looking for a job but also leaders and managers. Many leaders believe that networking is just a way of using people to get to the top. Instead, leaders and managers can use networking to stay in the loop. Many of them are always busy and stay in their office, but networking helps them know what is going on around them and the type of people there are in this specific career. There are three distinct forms of networking when it come to leaders: operational, personal and strategic. The first helps them manage current internal responsibilities, the second boosts their personal development, and the third opens their eyes to new business directions and the stakeholders they would need to enlist.
This is important because it explains how networking can be used for anyone. Networking can be used for people who are already successful in their career. It can help them move even further in their career, and become aware of their surroundings.
Herminia Ibarra and Mark Lee Hunter, “How Leaders Create and Use Networks, Harvard Business Review, Published January 2007, Accessed December 1, 2015. https://hbr.org/2007/01/how-leaders-create-and-use-networks
2. The main topic of this article is teaching others about networking. This article gives specific steps and explains how one should network to benefit their career. These steps are: 1. Believe in the power of networking, 2. Have a Plan, 3. Forget your Personal Agenda, 4. Never Dismiss Anyone as Unimportant, 5. Connect the Dots, 6. Figure out how you can be useful, 2. Follow up and follow through, 8. Believe in the power of networking.
This article is important because networking has now become a significant way in finding employment. This article will provide me with information that will be very useful for me in the future when I am looking for a job in my field of interest.
Andrew Vest, “How to Network the Right Way: Eight Tips, Forbes, Published July 28, 2014, Accessed December 1, 2015. http://www.forbes.com/sites/theyec/2014/07/28/how-to-network-the-right-way-eight-tips/
How to Enter Field
1. This topic discusses what happens to someone when they graduate and are looking for a career. After graduation, there are many questions you must ask yourself such as "Do you have experience?", "Do you know your chosen field?", "Do you have a strong resume?", but the most important question you must ask yourself is "Do you know what you want?". These questions can help anyone figure out what to do and how to find their desired career.
This is important because many graduates do not know what to do when they enter the real world, therefore, this article helps them understand main questions they must answer in order to succeed.
Peter Vogt, “After Graduation, What’s Next?”, Monster, Accessed December 1, 2015. http://career-advice.monster.com/job-search/Getting-Started/After-Graduation-What-Next/article.aspx
2. This article explains that having a specific undergraduate degree is not very important in entering a field. Many employers are looking for graduate students that have picked up skills such as critical thinking and business competencies.
This article is important because it informs students that are going into university what many employers these days are looking for in an employee. It can also give them an idea of what type of program they can choose.
James Marshall Crotty, “60% Of College Grads Can't Find Work In Their Field. Is A Management Degree The Answer?”, Forbes, Published March 1 2012, Accessed December 1, 2015. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmarshallcrotty/2012/03/01/most-college-grads-cant-find-work-in-their-field-is-a-management-degree-the-answer/